Top U.S. General Milley drops opposition to change in sex assault policy
The change, if approved, would give the authority to decide on such cases to a civilian-led legal office.
Army Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said he is dropping his opposition to a proposal that would take decisions on sexual assault prosecution out of the hands of commanders.
The change would result in a civilian-led legal office of the chief special victim prosecutor. The office would then decide whether to charge a military member with a crime or have the person court-martialed, according to The Associated Press.
Milley, the country's top general, said Sunday that he previously was "adamantly opposed to that for years," but that he has n't "seen the needle move' regarding the military's effort to reduce the number of sexual assaults."
In 2020, the Pentagon released a report showing that sexual assaults in and amongst the military increased by 3% between 2018 and 2019. The report for 2020 and 2021 has yet to be released.
An independent review commission will decide if the policy should be changed from a commander-centered judiciary to a civilian-led one.
News, Not Noise
- Arizona Senate, Maricopa Co. mull next steps in standoff over routers subpoenaed in vote audit
- Minnesota school district adopts Black Lives Matter slogan as privileged 'government speech'
- Astronomers observe black hole 'spaghettification' of a star for the first time
- New NASA head pledges to shoot for Trump 2024 deadline of putting another man on the moon
- DNA, genealogy website lead to arrest in 26-year-old Texas murder case