U.S. military to cut in half troop deployment in Iraq
Troops will be cut to 3,000 service members.
Updated: September 9, 2020 - 12:50pm
The United States said Wednesday that it is cutting troop levels in Iraq roughly in half, to 3,000 forces, helping fulfill President Trump's goal of reducing the U.S. military's overseas deployments.
The announcement was made by the top U.S. commander in the Middle East.
The decision to reduce the 5,200 troops now in Iraq follows Trump's recent meeting with Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi, according to The New York Times.
Just News, No Noise
- Culture of corruption exposed in trial centering on ex-Illinois House Speaker
- Confronted by FBI abuses, Congress ready to add civil liberty protections to key surveillance law
- Blinken grilled about $4 billion in US funding for Ukrainian pensions at House hearing
- Kentucky’s Democrat governor vetoes bill banning gender transition surgeries for children
- College wants to fire professor for 'dishonesty' of different opinions