Treasury Secretary Yellen tells Congress US expected to hit debt limit next week
The US may have to resort to 'extraordinary measures'
Updated: January 13, 2023 - 1:32pm
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen alerted Congress on Friday that the United States is expected to reach its debt limit on Jan. 19.
According to Yellen, the U.S. may have to resort to “extraordinary measures” to avoid default, the Associated Press reports.
Some of the measures include payment delays in federal employment retirement plans.
Yellen stated that she can't know for sure how long the measures will sustain the U.S. to continue to pay the government’s obligations, but she said “it is unlikely that cash and extraordinary measures will be exhausted before early June."
Just News, No Noise
- J6 Unmasked: Security footage confirms Capitol door opened, allowing 300 to enter building freely
- GOP lawmaker excoriates Jan. 6 committee as new footage comes to light
- WATCH fateful moment senate door unlocks allowing hundreds in the Capitol on January 6th
- Biden bribery memo: Open investigation or game of keep away?
- Patrick Mahomes pulls Travis Kelce away from White House podium during Chiefs' visit