Former White House lawyer says he wrote note to Trump that Hutchinson claims she authored
Cassidy Hutchinson's sworn testimony to the Jan. 6 panel has been thrown into question
Two former officials with the Trump White House are claiming authorship of a handwritten note that a former White House told the January 6 committee on Tuesday that she was the author.
The note regarded a statement written for then-President Donald Trump to release as his supporters and others breached the Capitol on January 6, 2021. The note was presented by former White House chief of staff aide Cassidy Hutchinson, during the televised hearing.
Following Hutchinson's sworn testimony before the committee, a spokesperson for former White House attorney Eric Herschmann told ABC news that Herschmann was the one who had written the note.
"The handwritten note that Cassidy Hutchinson testified was written by her was in fact written by Eric Herschmann on January 6, 2021. All sources with direct knowledge and law enforcement have and will confirm that it was written by Mr. Herschmann," said a spokesperson for Herschmann, who previously told the committee he was the note's author.
"That's a note that I wrote at the direction of the chief of staff on Jan. 6, likely around 3 o'clock," said Hutchinson under oath Tuesday during a televised hearing.
A spokesperson for the select panel told ABC News that while the two former White House employees may possess "differing recollections of who wrote the note," the significant detail is that "both White House officials believed that the president should have immediately instructed his supporters to leave the Capitol building."
The spokesperson added that it found Hutchinson's account to be "credible."
Just News, No Noise
- AZ Senate rocked by claims of election violations, as Lake presses appeal in challenge to 2022 vote
- Chinese Communist Party-linked companies are purchasing U.S. military academies, congressman warns
- From colds to commotio cordis, medical pundits reaching to rule out COVID vax in health scares
- McConnell yanks GOP Sen. Scott from Commerce Committee after failed leadership challenge
- Hunter Biden demands investigations into reporting on his laptop, threatens to sue Tucker Carlson