Key investigator in Mueller probe now part of New York team investigating Trump Organization
The investigator, Morgan Magionos, is a director at FTI Consulting, which Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. has hired.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
A key investigator in former special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Trump 2016 Campaign Chairman Paul Manafort has joined New York prosecutors looking into Trump Organization finances.
The investigator, Morgan Magionos, is a member of the FTI Consulting, which Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. has hired to help in the Trump probe, CNN reported Thursday.
Magionos is the managing director in the firm's Forensic Accounting and Advisory Services practice, according to the FTI website.
The investigation into the Trump Organization is focused on real estate valuations and tax filings.
Trump has called the investigation a "witch hunt." Vance said last month that he won't seek reelection, leaving some uncertainty about the future of the investigation.
Magionos is a fraud expert, having served nine years at the FBI in an internal corruption unit, CNN also reports.
Her role in the Mueller probe – whose large focus was to investigate possible collusion between Russia and the first Trump presidential campaign – was to trace Manafort's assets.
Manafort was convicted and sentenced to prison for multiple federal charges including ones on bank fraud and filing false tax returns.
He was pardoned by President Trump before he left office.
Magionos will help investigators look through purported millions of pages of documents including Trump's tax returns, which they obtained in February.
News, Not Noise
- House Republicans ask Secretary of State for documents related to Wuhan coronavirus lab
- New NASA head pledges to shoot for Trump 2024 deadline of putting another man on the moon
- Arizona Senate, Maricopa Co. mull next steps in standoff over routers subpoenaed in vote audit
- Fauci's agency spent over $400k on experiments grafting aborted fetal scalps onto mice and rats
- Minnesota school district adopts Black Lives Matter slogan as privileged 'government speech'