Trump announces emergency authorization for convalescent plasma in battle against coronavirus
The President made the announcement on Sunday evening
President Trump at a Sunday evening press conference announced an emergency authorization of convalescent plasma amid the ongoing battle against the COVID-19 pandemic.
"The FDA has issued an emergency use authorization ... for a treatment known as convalescent plasma. This is a powerful therapy that transfuses very, very strong antibodies from the blood of recovered patients to help treat patients battling a current infection," Trump said. "It's had an incredible rate of success. Today's action will dramatically expand access to this treatment," the president said.
White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany on Saturday night had tweeted the the president would hold a Sunday event "concerning a major therapeutic breakthrough on the China Virus."
According to Johns Hopkins University there have been more than 5.6 million COVID-19 cases in the U.S. and more than 176,000 deaths.
News, Not Noise
- FBI, State officials aware early on Steele made major mistake in Russia reporting
- Bombshell revelations as Trump declassifies all FBI documents in Russia probe
- Twitter CEO in leaked video says 'this is going to be much bigger than just one account'
- Lincoln Project co-founder resigns from group, admits to ‘inappropriate’ messages to multiple men
- U.S. says Wuhan lab workers became sick with COVID-19 like symptoms weeks before pandemic started