Hagerty, endorsed by Trump, wins Tennessee GOP Senate race
Second-place finisher Manny Sethi had earned support from Sens. Ted Cruz and Rand Paul
Bill Hagerty, a former diplomat supported by President Trump, has secured victory in the Tennessee Senate GOP primary race, defeating his top opponent Manny Sethi in a race to fill the seat of retiring Sen. Lamar Alexander.
Hagerty had previously served as the U.S. Ambassador to Japan during part of the Trump administration and he and enjoyed an endorsement from the president during the Senate primary.
Sethi had scored support from prominent Republican Senators Ted Cruz of Texas and Rand Paul of Kentucky.
Tennessee has not had a Democratic senator for more than two decades.
News, Not Noise
- Activist warns Left, Trump might pick first black female justice: 'Be careful what you wish for'
- FISA court rules it is 'not empowered by Congress' to release attorney misconduct files
- A year after impeachment, Hunter Biden's Ukraine activities come home to roost
- 'Midnight Rockets': Whistleblower lawsuit reveals toxic releases by Ohio nuclear plant
- Trafalgar Group polls: outliers with uncanny knack for accurately sampling Trump vote