Trump endorses primary challenger to Washington GOP Rep. Herrera Beutler, who voted to impeach him
Trump is backing retired Special Forces officer Joe Kent.
President Trump has endorsed a primary challenger in Washington GOP Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler’s 2022 reelection bid – making good on his plan oust House Republicans who voted to impeach him over the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.
Trump on Wednesday endorsed Joe Kent, a retired Special Forces officer and Gold Star husband, calling him a "warrior for the America First agenda." He also said Herrera Beutler backed Democrats' "impeachment scam."
Herrera Beutler, whose 3rd congressional district is in the southern part of the state, is among 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach Trump, arguing he incited the riot. The effort failed in the Senate.
Fellow Washington GOP Rep. Dan Newhouse also voted to impeach Trump. He and Herrera Beutler have drawn multiple pro-Trump primary challengers, according to the Seattle Times.
Kent tweeted a thank you to Trump, saying he was "honored & ready to take our country back!"
News, not Noise
- 'The numbers are skewed': Colorado officials warn of inflated COVID death statistics
- Robin Hood in reverse? Democrats plan $12,500 tax credits for pricey electric car purchases
- Bill Maher argues 0.81% of New Yorkers pay half the city's taxes, slams 'tax the rich' slogan
- Fauci reconsideration of natural immunity used against Michigan State COVID vaccine mandate
- In spite of high vaccination numbers, Israel sees 'record' COVID wave