Knife attack in Nice, France kills three, Mayor says 'everything points' to a terror attack
One of the victims was reportedly beheaded
Three people were killed Thursday at the Notre Dame Basilica in the French city of Nice in what appears to be a terror attack.
"I am on the scene with the police who arrested the attacker. Everything points to a terrorist attack," Mayor Christian Estrosi tweeted.
One of the victims had her throat slit in a way that the mayor described as consistent with decapitation, according to CNN.
A second victim, a man, was stabbed to death. The third victim, a woman, was attacked inside the church. She died after try to flee to a nearby café.
The suspect in the attack was shot, but is alive and in custody.
French President Emmanuel Macron traveled to Nice on Thursday to visit the scene of the attack.
The Vatican released a statement as well, saying that Pope Francis is praying for the victims of the attack. “Today’s attack has sown death in a place of love and consolation,” read the statement from the Pope, who is praying that “the beloved French people can react to evil with good.”
The French Muslim Council condemned the attack in Nice and encouraged the Muslim communities of France to cancel their planned Mawlid festivities. Mawlid is a holiday celebrated by some Muslims to mark the birthday of the Prophet Mohammed.
“I strongly condemn the terrorist attack that took place near the Notre-Dame Basilica in Nice. As a sign of mourning and solidarity with the victims and their families, I call on the Muslims of France to cancel all the Mawlid festivities,” tweeted the council.
The attack took place just 13 days after a French teacher was beheaded for showing pictures of the Prophet Mohammed in class.
News, Not Noise
- Johns Hopkins published then deleted an article questioning the U.S. coronavirus death rate
- State lawmakers seek to decertify Pennsylvania election results, citing 'substantial irregularities'
- 'Sooner the better.' Trump plans to take election case to Supreme Court, adviser says
- Kim Jong Un has locked down the capital & killed people in effort to keep the virus at bay
- Sidney Powell sues Georgia officials, alleging massive scheme to rig election for Joe Biden