Wrongful death suit against Kyle Rittenhouse allowed to proceed by federal judge
Rittenhouse was acquitted of all criminal charges a year and a half ago.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
A Wisconsin federal judge is allowing to proceed a wrongful death lawsuit against Kyle Rittenhouse by the father of a man Rittenhouse fatally shot during a 2020 riot.
U.S. District Judge Lynn Adelman, a Clinton appointee, on Wednesday allowed the civil right suit to proceed by dismissing motions from Rittenhouse and other defendants including law enforcement, The Associated Press reported.
John Huber filed the lawsuit in 2021 after son Anthony Huber was shot and killed by Rittenhouse, who had opened fire after Huber hit him with a skateboard during a protest in Kenosha, Wisc.
His father is accusing law enforcement of allowing a dangerous situation that violated his son's constitutional rights and led to his death.
Huber alleged that Rittenhouse, who was 17 at the time of the shootings, conspired with police to harm the protesters. Rittenhouse said he went to Kenosha from Illinois to help keep order.
Rittenhouse was acquitted of all criminal charges a year and a half ago in the murder trial of Huber and Joseph Rosenbaum, the latter of whom was shot after threatening to kill Rittenhouse and attempting to grab his rifle.
Gaige Grosskreutz, whom Rittenhouse wounded during the same incident, filed a similar lawsuit last year against the teenager.
After the judge's decision Wednesday, Rittenhouse tweeted: "We still have a long fight ahead of us this ruling was disappointing but expected. I respect the judges decision."
He also asked for donations to help fight the lawsuit.
Huber attorney Anand Swaminathan said after the judge's ruling: "The Kenosha officials that created a powder keg situation by their actions tried to claim that they cannot be held accountable for their unconstitutional conduct; that argument was soundly rejected today."