Ohio officer fatally shoots female teen attacking two people with knife, police bodycam shows
The incident occurred just minutes before a jury in Minneapolis found ex-police officer Derek Chauvin guilty of murder in the death of George Floyd.
An Ohio police officer on Tuesday fatally shot a teenage girl who appeared to be attacking two others with a knife, bodycam video of the incident appears to show.
The incident occurred in the city of Columbus just minutes before a jury in Minneapolis found ex-police officer Derek Chauvin guilty of murder in the May 2020 death of George Floyd.
The Columbus Division of Police showed a segment of the police bodycam video Tuesday night.
The 10-second segment starts by showing the officer getting out of his car at a house to which police had been dispatched after somebody called 911 about being physically threatened, interim Police Chief Michael Woods said at the news conference, according to the Associated Press.
The officer appears to take a few steps toward a group of people in the driveway when the girl starts swinging a knife wildly at another girl or woman, who falls backward.
The officer shouts several times to get down, the wire service reports.
The girl with the knife then charges at another girl or woman who is pinned against a car. Police have yet to identify the girl or her age.
From a few feet away, with people on either side of him, the officer fires four shots, and the teen slumps to the ground. A black-handled blade similar to a kitchen knife or steak knife lies on the sidewalk next to her.
A man immediately yells at the officer, “You didn’t have to shoot her! She’s just a kid, man!”
The officer responds: “She had a knife. She just went at her,” the Associated Press also reports.
News, Not Noise
- House Republicans ask Secretary of State for documents related to Wuhan coronavirus lab
- New NASA head pledges to shoot for Trump 2024 deadline of putting another man on the moon
- Arizona Senate, Maricopa Co. mull next steps in standoff over routers subpoenaed in vote audit
- Fauci's agency spent over $400k on experiments grafting aborted fetal scalps onto mice and rats
- Minnesota school district adopts Black Lives Matter slogan as privileged 'government speech'