Mysterious 'ghost attack' fires and explosions continue to plague Iran

'They're happening too much to be a coincidence,' exiled Iranian says.

Updated: July 21, 2020 - 10:20am

As "ghost attack" fires and explosions reportedly continue within Iran, outside observers and the Tehran regime are speculating on who is behind the mysterious events.  

Since last month, blasts and blazes have been reported at Iranian sites, including an explosion that killed 19 people at a medical clinic on June 30, plus fires that ravaged a shipyard and Iran's main nuclear enrichment facility earlier this month. 

The incidents continued through the weekend, when an explosion wracked a power plant in Isfahan province, and fire consumed a cellophane factory in Tabriz. 

"They're happening too much to be coincidence," Iranian exile Amir Rad, who lives in Europe, told Just the News. "Someone is behind all of this. But who?"

While Tehran has maintained that the incidents were accidents or the result of wear and tear on facilities, sources have been cited in the western and Middle Eastern media as blaming various culprits: Israel's Mossad intelligence agency; the United States; and the People's Mojahedin Organization of Iran (MEK).

Following the July 2 explosion in Natanz, focus centered on two potential sources, the MEK and Israel.

The MEK was not involved, the group's spokesman told Just the News.

"This was not carried out by the People's Mojahedin Organization of Iran," Shahin Gobadi wrote in an email. 

An Israeli government official expressed unease about Iran while on an official visit to Hungary on Monday.

"I expressed our concern to the Hungarian Foreign Minister about Iran's incessant violations of its nuclear commitments," Minister of Foreign Affairs Gabi Ashkenazi said in a statement

Ashkenazi did not, however, address charges and rumors that Israel is the "ghost" wreaking havoc in Iran.

Earlier this month, Tehran reportedly challenged the Israel theory, discounting claims that Tel Aviv launched a cyber attack that caused the facility to catch fire.

"The reports about cyberattacks on energy stations in the country are false," and no intentional damage was caused to the sites, Iranian power industry spokesman Mostafa Rajabi Mashhadi told a local news agency.

Meanwhile, observers remain on watch for a possible next beat. 

"Is it over? No one knows," said the exile, Rad. "Someone could be planning a new attack to take place any day."

The Mossad headquarters in Tel Aviv did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Monday. The Iran Interests Section of the Embassy of Pakistan in Washington, D.C. acknowledged receiving an email from Just the News, but did not respond to the questions.