You Vote: Should Biden designate Mexican drug cartels as foreign terrorist organizations?
Texas governor calls on Biden to follow his lead and make the terror designation at the federal level.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott on Wednesday issued an executive order officially designating certain Mexican drug cartels as foreign terrorist organizations.
"Fentanyl is a clandestine killer, and Texans are falling victim to the Mexican cartels that are producing it," Abbott said. "Cartels are terrorists, and it's time we treated them that way. In fact, more Americans died from fentanyl poisoning in the past year than all terrorist attacks across the globe in the past 100 years. In order to save our country, particularly our next generation, we must do more to get fentanyl off our streets."
Abbott also urged President Biden to designate Mexican drug cartels as foreign terrorist organizations at the federal level, sending him a letter saying "now is the time to act" to combat the scourge of fentanyl.
Do you agree with Abbott? Do you want to see the president make a similar terrorist designation? Here's your chance to weigh in:
Just News, No Noise
- CDC walks back COVID guidance again, finds lasting post-vaccine heart problems in young adults
- Is FBI using security clearances to muzzle critics? Whistleblower's lawyer says yes
- FBI whistleblower's wife suspended from Facebook after sending a private message
- Old case over audio tapes in Bill Clinton's sock drawer could impact Mar-a-Lago search dispute
- New Hampshire AG orders Democrats to pull back mailers