San Diego police says five dead in shooting at Islamic mosque
The San Diego Police Department said it believed there was at least one shooter at the Islamic Center of San Diego, and that at least one suspected shooter is dead.
The San Diego Police Department confirmed Monday that the threat at an Islamic mosque has been "neutralized," following reports of an active shooter at the California religious center.
San Diego police chief Scott Wahl said five people were killed in the shooting, including two suspected shooters. The other three individuals were adults, but their identities have not been disclosed so far, according to NBC News.
The two suspected shooters allegedly died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds and are believed to be 17-years-old and 19-years-old, Wahl told reporters. One of the victims was a mosque security guard.
The police are urging the public to stay away from the scene while it investigates and no motive has been identified so far.
An imam at the center said teachers, students and other school staff members are safe.
“There is no threat at this moment, but we want everyone to stay away from the Islamic Center of San Diego,” the imam said. “We are closed for the rest of the day. Stay safe, stay at home, and make a lot of prayers.”
California Gov. Gavin Newsom's press office said the governor has been briefed on the situation.
“We are grateful to the first responders on the scene working to protect the community and urge everyone to follow guidance from local authorities,” Newsom’s office said.
Misty Severi is a news reporter for Just The News. You can follow her on X for more coverage.