Judge dismisses case against Virginia assistance school principal when 6-year-old shot teacher
Ebony Parker was charged with eight counts of felony child neglect, a count for each of the eight bullets that were in the gun the student brought to school. The judge's decision ends the criminal proceedings against Parker in the case.
A Virginia judge on Thursday morning dismissed all eight charges against the woman who was the elementary school assistant principal when a 6-year-old brought a gun to school, then shot a teacher.
Prosecutors said the former school administrator, Ebony Parker, had committed felony neglect and several other crimes for not acting on school employees' warnings that the student had a gun to school in his backpack. They also alleged she did not follow required safety procedures and did not alert the principal or initiate a search of the student.
The student in the January 2023 incident shot his first-grade teacher, Abby Zwerner. She spent two weeks in the hospital and had six surgeries but no longer has full use of her left hand.
Prosecutors said Parker "did nothing" in response to the warnings.
The judge in the case, Rebecca Robinson, on Wednesday denied the defense's motion for a mistrial – after a juror raised concerns by asking for clarification about testimony that had been stricken from the record, according to 13 NewsNow. The request was stated as coming from the jury collectively, which suggested that jurors had discussed the case before deliberations officially began.
Parker was charged with eight counts of felony child neglect – one for each of the eight bullets that were in the gun the student brought to school. Robinson's decision ends the criminal proceedings against Parker in the case.
Last November, a jury awarded Zwerner $10 million in a civil case she filed against the Newport News School Division and administrators.