New Jersey Guardsman is first U.S. military casualty from coronavirus
Amy National Guard Capt. Douglas Linn Hickok died after lengthy hospitalization.
March 30, 2020 - 10:39pm
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
The Pentagon announced Monday its first casualty from the coronavirus outbreak, a New Jersey Army National Guardsman.
The deceased troop is Capt. Douglas Linn Hickok, according to a tweet from Gen. Joseph Lengyel, the chief of the National Guard Bureau.
"Today is a sad day for the Department of Defense as we have lost our first American service member – active, reserve or Guard – to Coronavirus," Secretary of Defense Mark Esper said. "This is a stinging loss for our military community, and our condolences go out to his family, friends, civilian co-workers and the entire National Guard community. The news of this loss strengthens our resolve to work ever more closely with our interagency partners to stop the spread of COVID-19."
News, Not Noise
- President Trump: 'I have a chance to break the deep state'
- Study: A majority of the population may have 'some degree' of preexisting immunity to COVID-19
- CDC: Coronavirus fatality rate could be as low as 0.26%
- While contemplating mandatory mask order, Virginia governor caught without one on beach
- Judge overseeing Flynn case has hired a lawyer to defend his decision not to drop it