Trump says more than 1 million Americans have been tested for coronavirus
'Point of care' tests will provide rapid coronavirus test results
March 30, 2020 - 7:28pm
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
President Trump said Monday that more than 1 million people in the U.S. have now been tested for the coronavirus.
"Today we reached a historic milestone in our war against coronavirus," the president said at the regular White House coronavirus task force briefing. "Over one million Americans have now been tested, more than any other country by far, not even close, and tested accurately."
The announcement comes one day after the president announced that the administration's social distancing guidelines will remain in place until the end of April, in an effort to combat the virus.
President Trump pulled a new Abbott COVID-19 test out of the box during the conference.
The Abbott test and other "point of care tests" will provide fast results "within minutes," Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Dr. Stephen Hahn said.
News, Not Noise
- President Trump: 'I have a chance to break the deep state'
- Study: A majority of the population may have 'some degree' of preexisting immunity to COVID-19
- CDC: Coronavirus fatality rate could be as low as 0.26%
- While contemplating mandatory mask order, Virginia governor caught without one on beach
- Judge overseeing Flynn case has hired a lawyer to defend his decision not to drop it