In contentious VP sweepstakes, contender Rep. Bass says, 'I’m not a communist'
Bass joins Democratic Sen. Kamala Harris and former national security advisor Susan Rice as likely Biden running-mate finalists
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
Democratic vice presidential contender Rep. Karen Bass is again defending herself against accusations that she’s a communist or socialist, as party presidential nominee Joe Biden nears his decision on a running mate amid criticism of his likely finalists.
“I’m not a socialist. I’m not a communist. I’ve belonged to one party my entire life and that’s the Democratic Party and I’m a Christian,” Bass, a California Democrat and chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus, said Monday on NBC News.
Bass has had to defend against reports of her visits to Cuba and her sympathetic works about former Cuba leader Fidel Castro after his 2016 death.
Democrats have raised concerns that Bass’ words and actions regarding Cuba and Castro could hurt their efforts to win the Cuban-American vote in November, especially in swing state Florida.
Bass also addressed the issues on Sunday, suggesting on NBC that she regrets the Castro remarks four years ago, and saying on “Fox News Sunday” that she understands “an awful lot more now” than she did in the 1970s, and that “the Castro regime did not have the same freedoms we do,” according to The Hill.
California Democratic Sen. Kamala Harris and former national security advisor Susan Rice are among those also considered top vice presidential contenders. Biden is expected to make a decision within the next two weeks.
News, Not Noise
- A year after impeachment, Hunter Biden's Ukraine activities come home to roost
- Democrat Tulsi Gabbard says voter fraud 'serious threat,' seeks to outlaw ballot harvesting
- Trafalgar Group polls: outliers with uncanny knack for accurately sampling Trump vote
- Coronavirus cases and deaths continue to decline, but officials vow to continue restrictions
- Activist warns Left, Trump might pick first black female justice: 'Be careful what you wish for'