Lone Florida governor debate between DeSantis, Crist cancelled in Hurricane Ian aftermath
The debate host is working with both campaigns to reschedule the debate.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
The lone debate next week between Florida GOP Gov. Ron DeSantis and Democrat challenger Charlie Crist has been postponed due to the aftermath of Hurricane Ian.
The announcement was made Thursday by the debate host, local news station WPEC News 12, according to the Orlando Sentinel newspaper.
The TV station says it is working with both campaigns to reschedule the debate, which was set for Wednesday.
"The move to postpone the debate is meant to ensure all Floridians have an opportunity to adequately recover from the storm and watch the debate,” the station wrote on its website.
Crist campaign manager Austin Durrer confirmed efforts to reschedule, saying "We are working with the event host and Gov. DeSantis’s team to reschedule the debate as soon as possible.
"We’re the third largest state and a purple one at that, voters deserve to see both candidates on stage, with a statewide audience, discussing their records and vision for moving Florida forward. I think we’ll have good news to report shortly.”
The DeSantis campaign did not respond to the newspaper's request for comment.
The storm, which hit Florida last week as a Category 4 hurricane, is also causing other problems related to Nov. 8 balloting, including challenges for the Postal Service to send mail-in ballots and the state having enough undamaged or adequately repaired polling stations.
Just News, No Noise
- Judge sides with DeSantis, says governor won’t have to testify in suit brought by prosecutor
- IRS warns taxpayers of new $600 threshold for reporting third-party payments
- House GOP leadership rejects 6 of 8 rules changes sought by conservatives, with more pending
- Musk indicates he will release internal Twitter docs on censorship of Hunter Biden laptop story
- Budweiser plans to send unsold beer intended for World Cup in Qatar to winning country