Energy Secretary Granholm met with anti-gas stove organization, documents show
"Any option is on the table. Products that can't be made safe can be banned."
Secretary of Energy Jennifer Granholm previously met with the leader of an environmental organization that supports banning gas stoves in new buildings, a watchdog group has learned via a public records request.
Americans for Public Trust obtained documentation indicating that Granholm met with then-CEO of the Rocky Mountain Institute Jules Kortenhorst, in June 2021, the Washington Times reported.
A DOE spokesperson told Fox News that the meeting did not include discussion of a prospective ban on gas stoves and that Granholm had sought to build support for the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law. The administration has denied that it seeks to ban gas stoves, though the watchdog contends that the calendar indicates otherwise.
"Despite calling stories about the Biden administration banning gas stoves 'ridiculous' and 'not true,' Secretary Granholm's calendar tells a different story. We've now learned that she consulted with the dark money group pushing to ban gas stoves. Suffice to say, 'ridiculous' and 'not true' proposals don't ordinarily involve a meeting with the Secretary of Energy — and where there's smoke, there's fire," said APT Executive Director Caitlin Sutherland, per the Times.
The controversy initially emerged over remarks from the Consumer Product Safety Commissioner Richard Rumka Jr. labelling gas stoves a "hidden hazard" in early January.
"Any option is on the table. Products that can't be made safe can be banned," he said at the time.
Ben Whedon is an editor and reporter for Just the News. Follow him on Twitter.
Just News, No Noise
- Congress probing if FBI used ‘Russian disinformation’ claim to shut down Biden inquiries
- Lawmaker probing J6 security failures: 'People of interest’ may have withheld critical intel
- Doctored evidence? Democrat-led J6 panel added audio to silent security video for primetime hearings
- Texas governor says he wants to eliminate property taxes
- Biden sanctions Iran tech firm for censorship while remaining silent on censoring US citizens