You Vote: How concerned are you about the prospect of Russia invading Ukraine?
Biden considering deploying troops, warships, aircraft to Baltics and Eastern Europe.
The U.S. and its NATO allies believe Russia could launch a military incursion into neighboring Ukraine imminently.
Russia, which denies plans to invade, has massed weaponry and more than 100,00 troops on the Ukrainian border in recent weeks. Over the same period, Russian President Vladimir Putin also issued several demands of the West, including permanent prohibition on Ukrainian membership in NATO and the removal of most of the U.S. and allied military presence in eastern Europe.
Washington says Moscow's demands are a nonstarter.
In response to what it has described as Russian aggression, NATO is putting forces on standby and sending ships and jet fighters to bolster the alliance's eastern flank.
The Biden administration, meanwhile, is considering deploying thousands of troops, as well as warships and aircraft, to NATO allies in the Baltics and Eastern Europe. The first U.S. shipment of "lethal aid" to Ukraine landed in Kiev, the Ukrainian capital, over the weekend.
Last week, President Biden suggested that a "minor incursion" into Ukraine by Russia might result in a less severe response from the U.S., alarming Ukrainian officials who described the remark as a "green light" for Russia to invade. The president walked back the remark the next day, saying any Russian incursion will be met with a "severe and coordinated economic response."
Here's your chance to weigh in on a story that's dominating headlines:
News, not Noise
- Ex-New York Times reporter pushes for court to limit questioning in Sussmann trial
- Wisconsin Republicans vote against decertifying 2020 election results, removing Assembly speaker
- In key Wisconsin battleground, law and order becomes Achilles heel for Democrat incumbents
- Durham puts FBI investigators on stand to substantiate materiality of alleged Sussmann lie to bureau
- Professors who challenged George Floyd orthodoxy face surprise termination, reinstatement