You Vote: Is the Biden administration's Disinformation Governance Board un-American?
Critics have warned the new DHS body will threaten freedom of speech.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
The Department of Homeland Security's recently created Disinformation Governance Board to monitor and combat disinformation has prompted a major backlash.
Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas has defended the initiative as important in tackling the "threat" of disinformation, especially when it targets migrants or comes from the Russian government.
Critics, however, have lambasted the board as an Orwellian "Ministry of Truth" established to silence people with certain political views. Many have cited Nina Jankowicz's appointment to run the board as especially troubling, accusing her of spreading disinformation herself.
"Efforts are afoot to begin serious oversight of this," a Republican congressional aide who works on investigations told Politico. "We see it as fundamentally un-American."
Do you agree? Here's your chance to weigh in:
News, not Noise
- Hillary Factor: Evidence now shows false Russia collusion story began and ended with Clinton
- Russia announces western military buildup to match NATO presence near its borders
- Another Biden legal loss: Court rules Arizona can challenge COVID funds tax restriction
- Primary source of COVID misinformation is the feds, scientists and scholars tell surgeon general
- Top 5 revelations from trial of ex-Clinton campaign lawyer Michael Sussmann