Carson says Trump will 'get there' on not being upset by athletes kneeling during National Anthem
Carson said he does not think the kneeling protests are done to disrespect the Anthem, flag and what they symbolize
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson on Monday suggested that President Trump may eventually soften his stance against athletes kneeling during the national anthem.
Kneeling during the anthem has for years been a sign of Americans' demand for an end to police brutality, while others, including Trump, perceive it as disrespectful to the country and the U.S. flag.
The issue resurfaced in recent weeks when George Floyd died after being arrested by Minneapolis police, including one who kneeled on his neck.
Trump on Saturday tweeted about the issue.
During an interview Monday with conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt, Carson said that athletes who choose to kneel should clearly explain the reason behind their action.
He noted that many "are under the impression that they’re kneeling because they don’t respect our National Anthem or ... the flag or what it stands for."
"I think most of them are kneeling because you know, they want to protest some brutality in the police forces. They need to make that very clear. And of course, now that that has been brought to national attention, I’m not sure if it needs to continue," Carson continued.
Hewitt asked Carson whether he might be able to change the president's thinking on the matter.
Carson replied: "I don’t think he has manifested as much animosity in that region lately. And I think we just continue to work with him. He’ll get there."
News, Not Noise
- Health officials less confident in COVID vaccine efficacy with rise of Delta variant
- CDC justified new mask guidance based on vaccine study listed as failing peer review
- Black leaders cite wide gap between Washington solutions, what middle class black voters want
- Legal effort targets Minnesota government promotion of critical race theory, Black Lives Matter
- MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell says he's pulling ads from Fox News following disagreement