McCarthy demands COVID intel be declassified, Americans be allowed to sue China
California Republican also calls for moving 2022 Winter Olympics to punish Beijing.
House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy demanded Sunday that the House Intelligence Committee's probe into COVID-19's origins be declassified and that China's sovereign immunity be suspended so Americans can have transparency and sue Beijing for reparations for the pandemic's toll.
"We should lift the sovereign immunity so the 600,000 individuals who died, their families could actually have justice and sue China," McCarthy told the Fox News show Sunday Night America.
The California Republican called for sweeping measures to punish Beijing and give Americans more transparency into how the pandemic started, including:
- Relocating the 2022 Winter Olympics from China. "They should not be held in Beijing. If China lied to the rest of the world, why should the world reward them?"
- Declassifying the House Intelligence Committee's data on where the virus originated from;
- Limit the number of visas fo Chinese seeking to visit the United States;
- Halt all U.S. funding to the World Health Organization for its failure to more aggressively pressure China to come clean about the virus earlier in the process.
"Think about who had to pay for this," he said. "Three million and eight hundred thousand people have lost their lives because China lied to the world. Six hundred thousand of those 3.8 million are Americans. And for so long, with social media denying our ability to even talk about it, of where it came from our having from Wuhan and others. The first thing we should do is declassify the intelligence. That would show us it came from Wuhan,."
McCarthy also criticized President Biden for sending $40 million in fresh monies to WHO with "no strings attached.
"We cannot get to the origin of this by listening to China or the World Health Organization," he said. "We should declassify the information and find first and foremost where it came from and let the entire world know."
News, not Noise
- Supreme Court overrules Roe v. Wade in Mississippi abortion case
- Jan. 6 panel’s Ron Johnson narrative exposes ills of one-sided hearing
- Roberts charts own path in Supreme Court abortion ruling
- Gaslighting: How media's 'fact-checks' have led public to distrust the press
- Senate passes historic gun bill hours after major 2nd amendment ruling from Supreme Court